What is radon? A boring but important concern!
There are still many people that do not know what radon is or that it is the #1 cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. I get those calls almost daily and my immediate reaction is alarm. Then I put it into perspective and realize if not for being in the radon business, I too might not be in the know. Therefore, I will do my due diligence
and list a few radon facts, plain and simple.
1. Radon comes from the natural decay of uranium in the soil.
2. Radon gas decays into radioactive particles and can be trapped in your lungs when you breathe. As the particles break down further, they release small bursts of energy. This can cause damage to lung tissue and may lead to lung cancer.
3. Homes, new or old, have the potential to show elevated levels of radon.
4. Misconception: A home closed up for a long period of time will test higher than a home under normal usage. Radon reaches its highest potential level within about 12 hours of being closed up.
5. Radon fluctuates, it does not maintain a constant level.
6. Nearly any home can be fixed. A home with a radon system is a home with an additional safety feature.
7. A radon system is roughly the cost of a new hot water heater. However, a new hot water heater will not save your life, although, at times you may think so!
The invisible boogeyman…it’s not under the bed, not in the closet, you can’t see it, you can’t smell it, you can’t taste it or hear it, but it’s there.
TEST YOUR HOME FOR RADON TO UNMASK THIS BOOGEYMAN!