Commercial Radon Testing Guide - Procedures, Checklist
Certain conditions must be maintained for the testing environment of the commercial property in order to ensure a valid test takes place and that an accurate reading(s) can be taken for analysis. If the property is occupied, a management member, delegate or representative will need to agree to maintain these conditions listed below to provide an ideal environment during the testing period.
The following procedures must be followed carefully - failure to do so may result in invalid test results.
Please adhere to these procedures:
- Make sure that all property windows and doors are kept closed for at least 12 hours prior to the scheduled appointment time for conducting the radon test - and for the duration of the test period. If our inspector arrives for the appointment and finds open doors and windows in the testing area - then no test will be performed.
- Doors may need to be opened by occupants for normal property access (entering and exiting) during the test, but all windows must be kept closed at all times (open windows are known to both raise or lower radon levels).
- Make sure that no interference takes place with the radon detectors / testing devices. There can be no touching, covering, moving or altering the performance of any of the detectors or control devices (which are placed with detectors to help ensure non-interference of testing apparatus).
- Do not operate any large fans, attic fans or commercial fans.
- Refrain from using any fireplaces or wood stoves, as well make sure that all dampers are kept closed as they are not in use.
- It is okay to run your HVAC as you normally would.
- Make sure to turn off any non-essential equipment that supplies fresh air to the property. An exception would be devices that provide vented supply air to any combustion appliance.
- It is okay to use normal applainces (I.e. dryers, range hoods, bathroom fans). Any exhaust fans or vented air for a combustion appliance may increase negative pressure inside the property, which can raise or lower any radon concentration (and compromise the integrity of the test).
- We may ask that the management member, delegate or representative for the property provide a signature to verify that we have clearly explained these necessary 'closed property' conditions prior to conducting the test, and that the necessary conditions explained herein were adhered to for at least 12 hours prior to - and during the entire testing period.
We look forward to helping you ensure that your commercial and industrial properties are free of dangers from radon.
Please call with any questions,
Bill & Robin Slentz
Mid America Radon